COVID-19 Information provided by Big White Ski Resort.
For British Columbia’s latest COVID-19 updates, please visit http://covid-19.bccdc.ca/
To assist in raising awareness within local ski resort communities of the current health orders, how to follow them and additional supporting information the Canada’s West Ski Area Association has launched SkiBCStrong.
What is Big White Ski Resort doing for your COVID-19 safety and prevention?
A word from President and CEO, Peter Plimmer, “Everyone in our Resort has done a huge amount of work, we have a really strong and amazing winter product, and I want us to convey to our guests that their skiing experience will not be compromised. We are doing our best.”
These Policies are subject to change due to recommendations and best practices within the industry and as mandated by local, provincial and federal government bodies. As a resort we are working towards certainty and have to plan that this will be extended well in to the upcoming winter season.
The resort is suspending the operation of the following services due to the challenges with maintaining social distancing, sanitization and the safety of staff and guests.
- Tot Town Daycare
- Tube Park
- Night Skiing
- Skating Rink
- On-mountain shuttle
- Shopping shuttle
- Dining Sleigh Tours
- Express bus service
- Kelowna Rocket Hockey games trips
- Freeride, Ladies Day, Masters Monday, Masters Week, After School Program, Never Ever Days, cross country (group and private) and snowshoe lessons have been suspended during the 2020/21 season
- This winter the offering of night skiing, tubing, skating, and fire pits have been deemed too precarious to operate.
- Lift operation teams will work in location bubbles and operate the same lifts year-round.
Accommodation & Central Reservations
Our clients will have front of line access to our day ticket program when purchasing at time of booking if required by any government or official body to restrict the comfortable carrying capacity of our lifting system.
Those guests flying in to Kelowna International Airport will be met at the airport by a shuttle bus driver, Masks are mandatory on all shuttle buses, and a plexiglass divider is in place to separate the driver and guests.
You’re covered with the our Flexible Cancellation Policies! Providing you with Peace of Mind when booking with our partner, Big White Central Reservations. Learn more.
- Free Cancellation with full refunds for any reason up until 60 days prior to arrival. (Valid for all bookings all season except Dec 18, 2020 – Jan 2, 2021)
- Free Cancellation with full refunds up to 10 days prior to arrival should Government restrictions be in place from your departing city, province or into British Columbia.
- Credit Options with Priority Request Status for the 2021/2022 Ski Season should you have to cancel.
- Keeping Up with the Changes, as the world situation evolves so will we, we’ve got you covered!
Checking into and checking out of your Accommodations with Big White Central Reservations
- Please contact Central Reservations the day before your arrival to request an early check in.
- Central Mountain Check-in have added plexiglass partitions at front desks to provide an extra level of precaution for our guests and team members.
- Know before you go: Wear a mask, know your license plate, have your booking credit card available.
- Follow the markers on the floor to ensure you are 2 meters from the guest in front of you.
- We are requesting only one member of your group check-in at the Front Desk.
- If additional guests will be arriving separately, please obtain a key or key card at check-in for your additional guests.
- To ensure our guests and staffs safety we will be sanitizing the front desk, keys, POS machines, and pens after each guest.
- A Registration card is required to be completed at the time of Check-In. Guests are requested to place their ID and credit card face up on the desk, during check-in.
- Big White Central Reservation will be cashless, please be prepared with a debit or credit card.
- Room keys will be left in your unit upon check out, no need to come back to the lobby on departure.
Cleaning Protocols with Big White Central Reservations
- Our health and safety measures are designed to address a broad spectrum of viruses, including COVID-19.
- There will be a minimum 24 hours between all bookings.
- Upon departure, a deep clean will be conducted in the room complete with a full disinfectant application.
- Bacteria killing products will be used to “fog” the entire unit.
- To minimize the number of touch points in the units non essential items have been removed.
- Stay over services will not be provided but if you require replacement of any linens or paper products just let us know and we will deliver them to your unit door.
Please click here for full details of Big White Central Reservations Commitment to Cleanliness.
If you plan to ski or board for more than 7 days this season, an early bird season pass is the best value for you. Season passes can ONLY be purchased online or at the Ambrosi ticket office (masks are required). All passes must be collected at the Ambrosi office before opening day, or at the outdoor ticket window across from the Kids Centre after opening day.
New this year, the Resort is introducing a new online, no-touch day ticket dispensing system. This will be the ONLY way to purchase a day ticket. This ticket automatically offers guests 25% off the retail price of the day. Day ticket pricing is adjusted for mid-week, weekends, and peak periods. These tickets must be collected at one of 15 pick-up ticket boxes located around the resort.
Due to Covid-19 and our no-touch policy, there will be no other ticket programs offered this year. Big White Ski Resort will be a cashless resort.
Access to ski runs and lifts
- Staff and guests will be required to wear masks or face coverings at all times in lift lines, loading the chair, unloading the chair, on the gondola, within public buildings, and are recommended when walking through the Village. Appropriate masks and face coverings are defined as any double or single-layer material that covers the face and nose adequately. This can include neck warmers, non-medical masks, disposable masks, and other coverings.
- Due to the mandated face coverings, lift corrals can remain the same.
- Season passholders can go direct to lift with their season passes and load lift in their bubble. Singles welcome.
- Guests will be asked to ride only with the people they have arrived with (your bubble), no guest will be asked to ride with a stranger.
- The gondola will be sanitized on an hourly schedule using an electrostatic fogging machine and there will be no interruption in uploading operations.
- TELUS Park will run as usual, only sanctioned, authorized events will be permitted.
- The Ridge and Snow Ghost chairs will be open daily to minimize lift lines, while the Falcon Chair will be closed mid-week.
- Touchless online day ticket system that provide direct to lift access. The day(s) you want to use your lift ticket will need to be booked online in advance. Learn more about the Resort’s online day ticket program.
- The Ski Patrol team treats trauma patients ONLY. Sick people do not fall into this category and will be directed to the medical clinic.
- Guests will be asked to wear masks before being treated by ski patrol, and will be taken direct to home, clinic, or an ambulance to reduce traffic through the patrol hut.
- Patrol hut doors will be equipped with doorbells and guests let in as necessary.
- Reconfigured ski and snowboard rental shops to promote physical distancing and limit contact with staff and other guests.
- All rental equipment will need to be pre-booked and pre-paid before your arrival at Big White. Bookings will be available closer to the start of the winter season.
- You will require details of your lift ticket purchase in order to book rental equipment (season pass or day ticket).
- All staff and guests in the rental shop are required to wear a face mask and sanitize their hands.
- Staff will also be equipped with face shields so that they are able to assist those guests who require assistance with their rental boot fittings.
- The Resort has invested in a touchless laser boot measuring system to help decrease the number of touch points between staff and guests in the rental shop.
- The rental shop has allocated a dedicated staff member to assist with those who need assistance pre-purchasing their rentals, or who have any other questions about the rental process.
- This season, all rental equipment will be distributed through the Village Centre Mall location. The Resort is closing our Happy Valley and Kids’ Centre locations for winter 2020/21.
- The layout of the Rental Shop has been reconfigured to promote physical distancing and limit contact between staff and other guests wherever possible.
- Due to covid-19 the Resort is unable to offer rental clothing this winter. We invite you to visit their retail outlets, Altitude or the Rider, located in the Village Centre Mall, for a fantastic selection of outdoor clothing for your family.
- This winter the Resort is suspending our cross country ski and snowshoe rental program. Trails will remain open for public use.
- The Resort is working to open the repair shop in early November for pre-season mounts, calibrations, tunes etc.
The Ski & Board School’s focus is to deliver the lesson product as safely as they can to our customers. Due to covid-19 regulations…
- The Ski & Board School desk has been relocated to the Kids Centre.
- Group lessons are no longer possible in the traditional sense, these will be replaced by a new product that will be released in the coming weeks, “family bubble lessons”.
- Operations will run at 30% of last years capacity.
- Day care services will be suspended, Our Kids Centre will only be open for emergency children services such as washroom use and warming.
- Mom/Dad & Me Are Skiing lesson is the only beginner option available for children ages 3-4 and older this season.
- To our disappointment, we must suspend Freeride, Ladies Day, Masters Monday, Masters Week, After School Program, and GAP programs.
- Cross country (group and private) and snowshoe lessons are suspended as groups of strangers are unable to be put together.
- Pre registration is required for all lessons.
- Private and semi-private lessons will be available for guests that are in the same bubble.
- Ski School will not be offering 50% off early bird lesson vouchers or 15% off on group lessons to season passholders.
- The Resort is reviewing and monitoring the Canadian Retail Council on safe operating procedures for all of our retail locations.
- Hours of operation will reflect Village Centre Mall Hours, closing each day at 5pm.
- Hand sanitization stations will be located at the front of each shop – we ask you sanitize before coming in to the stores.
- Both Guests and Staff are required to wear a mask at all times in the store.
- There will be a limited occupancy capacity outlined to promote physical distancing.
- Products that come in close proximity to your face will be quarantined off the shelf for a period of 24 hours.
- Dizzy’s has been fitted with automated doors and all other locations will continue to have open doors during business hours.
- Dizzy’s bootfitting is by appointment.
Due to covid-19 protocols regarding the gathering of groups, physical distancing, and sanitizing, we will not be offering any indoor activities or events, and the Elevation Day Spa will be closed.
After reviewing our outdoor activities and events we can confirm the suspension of tubing, and the outdoor skating rink this year. A Cruz the Blues format event will take place, with an online application to replace passports.
All bookings for activities have moved online through FareHarbor and is available through the activity pages on the website (coming soon). We plan on staffing the concierge desk to answer questions and help guests, additional call centre staff will be available to help assist in online bookings. Plexi-glass has been installed at all sales points to help protect staff and guests.
- Simple and easy online booking system now available for all activities – reducing the foot traffic in the Village Centre Mall.
- Remove printed physical tickets for activities – digital tickets generated with online bookings.
- Increased number of employees in Call Centre to assist with online/phone bookings.
- Reduced capacities or private options for activities to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
- The Resort is currently reviewing all operating procedures in place for dog sleds, ice climbing, snowmobiles and horse sleigh rides. Big White will ensure these procedures are in accordance with our local health authority directives prior to operating the tour. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.
Food, Beverage, & Day Lodges
The Resort is following the protocols and mandates as set out by the Ministry of Health. They are subject to change without notice. All indoor food facilities will have their table volume reduced by 50%, and tables will be limited to 6 people maximum. Big White Ski Resort Ltd. will be operating all day lodges including the Ridge Day Lodge this winter. The newly launched online ordering platform has been well received this summer and we will continue the use into the winter. Outdoor seating areas will be available with extra picnic tables and outdoor heaters. The Woods will operate with a reduced capacity indoors, still offering lunch and dinner service. All indoor seats will be required to be booked through Open Table. We are working with all other on-mountain restaurants and will advise of their operation protocols as soon as they are received.
Dining – more details
- The Resort’s Food & Beverage Management Team is all COVID-Safe Certified.
- Reduced indoor capacity and increased outdoor seating and service where possible.
- Online ordering and payment system implemented in day lodges to reduce line ups.
- Increased options for takeaway and ‘assemble-at-home’ meal kits.
- Staggered start times for all employees to ensure physical distancing requirements are met.
- All employees are subject to a touch less temperature check and must sign a declaration of health before starting their shift.
- All staff will be required to wash their hands every 15 minutes, and must sanitize their hands between servicing new guests.
- Mandatory face masks for all employees while on shift.
- All Big White Food and Beverage outlets have a strict and thorough 30 minute disinfection routine for all high touch point areas.
- One way traffic is incorporated where possible to help promote the safety of our guests and staff.
- The resort has installed plexi glass anywhere where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- All washrooms are on a strict 30 minute disinfection schedule.
- The Resort is working closely with industry hygiene suppliers to ensure they are using the most advanced and fastest acting disinfecting products which are Health Canada approved.
- Incorporated strict external delivery protocols to ensure contact points are limited and sanitation plans are in effect.
Accessing Day Lodges
- Automatic sliding doors have been installed where possible to reduce contact points.
- Decreased volume of seating at all day lodges to abide by physical distancing standards.
- At this time the Resort is unable to offer day or season locker storage due to health and safety regulations surrounding COVID-19. Those that have purchased the Season passholder locker add-on in the past, or who are on the waiting list to receive one as they become available, will remain in their position when we are able to offer this service again.
- Touchless faucets have been installed in washrooms at the Village Centre Mall, Gem Lake, Black Forest Day Lodge, Happy Valley Day Lodge and The Ridge Day Lodge. All of these washroom facilities will have handicap stalls with foot pulls in addition to the existing handles.
- Staff to wear masks in the workplace.
- Mask dispensers located throughout the resort in various locations.
- Contactless ordering and payment systems available in day lodge restaurants.
- Upgraded automatic doors at all cafeterias and retail locations.
- Outdoor washroom facility- hot/cold running water.
- State of the art cleaning and disinfectant protocols/materials/machines.
- All faucets in public washrooms – touchless.
- Building of plexiglass partitions to protect staff and guests from each other in high traffic resort locations.
- Flags, bunting, banners, fencing, metal corrals, floor decals to remind consumer of physical distancing and easy access in congested areas including lifts, cafeterias, restaurants, lobby’s.
- Shuttles must be booked at least 72 hour prior to arrival. To book your airport shuttle please call 1-800-663-2772, 250-765-8888 or email the resort at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Safety for all guests and staff are our top priority.
- The Resort’s shuttle vans will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day.
- Plexiglass shields will be placed behind the driver’s seat.
- Guests and Shuttle drivers will be required to wear face masks throughout the journey to Big White.
On Mountain Bus and Shopping Shuttle
To continue to act in accordance with the instructions of the BC Ministry of Health and other Government officials, the Resort is suspending the operation of this activity/program due to the challenges with maintaining social distancing, sanitization and the safety of our staff and guests.
Sundance Shuttle – for Sundance guests only
Safety for all guests and staff are our top priority.
- The Sundance shuttle vans will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day.
- Guests and Shuttle drivers will be required to wear face masks throughout the journey.